Raw Food Recipes + Vegan

Dear Daily Raw Blog
RAW RECIPE (photos)

A couple of lovely ladies have had trouble sprouting chickpeas. Whether they had a foul smell or slimy chickpeas they haven't had much success.
So, I revisited my October posting about How to sprout Chickpeas to double check that the instructions were up to snuff.Over the weekend I sprouted 3 quarts of chickpeas in quart size Mason jars.
In each jar I put 1/2 cup of chickpeas, I filled the jar with water and then I secured cheesecloth with the lid at the mouth of the jar.
The Mason Jars were the only variation I did from the original post. All the chickpeas came out great.
I am eating a lot of chickpeas because of the Raw Fit Challenge. They are high in protein, a good source of calcium, dietary fiber and low in fat. It works perfect for what I'm doing. Don't be surprised to find alot of chickpea recipes in the future.

I enjoy sprouting chickpeas because they don't take long from soaking to sprouting to using.

Here was my timeline.
9 a.m. Friday: soak
8 p.m. Friday: drain soaking water and rinse and drain at a 45 degree angle
9 a.m., 2 p.m., 6 p.m., 9 p.m. Saturday: rinse and drain at a 45 degree angle (This might be a bit excessive for me, it was one of those weekends and rinsing chickpeas seemed to be the only things I could do successfully without fail.)
Noon Sunday:

RAW RECIPE (photos)

I noticed the tails sprouting and they were ready to use.
Tip: If you won't be using the chickpeas right away, make sure they are well drained and dry and place them in the frig.

photo by Meetak

RAW RECIPE (photos)

I am not sure why the chickpeas spoiled. If I were to guess maybe they were soaked too long or didn't drain well enough. Or it could have been a bad batch.
If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment. What did I do with all those chickpeas? I made Garden Chickpea Fritters.

RAW RECIPE (photos)

The recipe I will feature tomorrow.
If you have a raw food kitchen question, forward to "Question for the Daily Raw" at yahoo.com.
Coming soon: Is there a substitution for avocados? Tips for being raw and a new mom.

avocado, Dear Daily Raw, Food, how to, RAW, and more:

Dear Daily Raw Blog + Vegan