Raw Food Recipes + Viktoras H. Kulvinskas

Survival in the 21st Century: Planetary Healers Manual Review

There is melancholy and embarrassment within me that I can’t guide my family in a 100% raw food lifestyle. In my perfect world, my husband, my children and myself would live off the land, home educating, exploring the world, yet distancing our way from the “bad” influences of a very “cooked” and nutritional-depleted world. It is my dream to learn, grow and eat our way to a raw bliss.

But, I live in the city of Denver, CO, my children go to public schools, I shop at grocery stores and my husband works very hard as a cook and makes NO money. Other than our beautiful children, we have nothing to show for our efforts. I know in my heart it is possible to live the way you choose anywhere you choose, it is the amount of effect you place forth. And I believe our existence is our own doing, no one else placed us in this life.

I feel we are in a perfect position to make a drastic move. We have literally nothing to lose. Our meager (yet digital-dependent) lifestyle screams for change but we both are too afraid to make a dramatic move toward something more substantial in life.

In comes Viktoras H. Kulvinskas' book “Survival in the 21st Century: Planetary Healers Manual." This book is the epitome of the search for a connection of something greater than oneself. In the digital age of the internet, netbooks and iPhones, Survival in the 21st Century’s idealistic premise of paradise found seems outdated, an almost impossible dream. Or is it? Could it be the wake-up call we all need to get our lives together before it’s too late.

I don’t know. That is my most honest answer. This book was hard for me to review, it reads like a New Age science fiction manifesto entangled with a practical self-help handbook. Some of the principles of the book would be easy to embrace if the delivery of the message wasn’t so…for lack of a better word, "out there."

I am going to ignore the fact that the world hasn’t ended as Kulvinskas predicted in his previous printings of this book over the past 40 years. He isn’t the only one who has made predictions of mankind’s demise and he won’t be the last. I didn’t get the “end of the world” vibe from the book so that issue for me is null and void.

Moving forward.

The manifesto aspects of the book features the conspiracy theory chemtrails, breatharianism, the section on “How to be a God”, “New Age Eating at a Glance” in the appendices and the underlying premise of the book that consuming a diet of “green whole organic food oriented diet” plays a key role in our survival of an impending apocalypse (specifically the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012). I love a good New Age/science fiction/spiritual awakening read but not in the same context of a self-help book.

If you can make it past the fear of imminent catastrophe, some of the practical information Kulvinskas shares is actually pretty useful. The passage on sprouting is extensive. Explaining how to grow sprouts in soil and jar, which seeds are conducive to sprouting and the sprouts that make up the “Viktory Gardens for Survival.” Kulvinskas touches upon the benefits of consuming juices and what weeds are good for health and survival. After reading it, I went through our garden (and the new neighbor’s yard) and pulled dandelions to juice. The sections are they are straightforward and easy to follow with beautiful illustrations.

The book isn’t without topics that are a bit on the controversial side, notwithstanding the chemtrails.

He touches upon a woman’s menstrual cycle. A brave place to go for a man. At first glance his theory that having an monthly cycle is unhealthy for a woman and that she should eat in a way to eliminate it could be seen as some as farfetched. But the statement his makes regarding the inferiority of a civilized woman to a man is caused “largely by the debilitating effect of the menstrual hemorrhage.” could be construed as an irresponsible and reckless statement.

I am not here to debate whether or not it is healthy to have a period or not (I, personally, have them less because of the way I eat and I suffer no ill effect) or if menstruating women are inferior to men (women will always be the foundation men need to exist and thrive).

My point is that his idea of eliminating periods isn‘t so implausible, just take a gander at FDA-approved Lybrel. The no-period birth control pill that contains 90 mcg levonorgestrel and 20mcg ethinl estradiol. Where is the logic of polluting a woman’s body with a synthetic progestogen and bio-active estrogen for 365 days to stop menstruations but being in superior health from living foods, creating the same result, is absurd? Something to think about.

The section on Physiognomy, the art of analyzing facial features to determine the state of health, is interesting. It had me checking the moons on your finger nails. Full moons indicate state of high vitality and finger beds without moons showed “very poor circulation. Lots of mucus” Needless to say, I found myself rummaging through the medicine closet hunting for a cuticle stick.

Truth be told I would love to live in a world the Viktoras Kulvinskas creates in this book. If it were as easy as changing your diet or subscribing to a existence of fruitarians, breatharianism, longevity and the many more optimistic situations he dreams of, count me in. In reality, I can’t. I currently live in a digital age where with a few clicks on a mouse I can find information that disputes his theories. Maybe, just maybe I am not ready to ascend to a higher level of consciousness.

The truth as I know it to be is this, our physical bodies will end, it’s not a new concept. Now, if you believe that our energy, spirit, soul, etc will continue to be or not to be or will be go on to live again isn’t the issue. Whether it be by chance or apocalypse, if you live 165 years or 165 minutes, makes no difference. It was never about how you will die, it will always, always be about how you will live.

Publisher: Book Publishing Company

book review, cyber celebration, cyber review, fruit, Healthy Lifestyle, Juice, life, lifestyle, organic, RAW, and more:

Survival in the 21st Century: Planetary Healers Manual Review + Viktoras H. Kulvinskas