Raw Food Recipes + travel

Welcome July!

June flew by. I can't believe it's July (WARNING: subliminal message in italics). June kept me very occupied. I've been busy spending time with the kids, testing recipes,

making a lot of kale chips using kale from our garden, ignoring the kids for a minute to finish the book, testing products, creating recipes, (July 31st is my birthday), trips to the park, going to the movies (went to the midnight showing of Twilight Eclipse last night with my daughters Jordan and Donavan, loved it) having mini break-downs, spending 12 hours in a chair getting my hair braided, (July 31 is my 40th birthday) packing and shipping off clothes for the trip (yeah! NO check-in luggage for us), hung out ALOT with my eldest daughter Jordan, who as watched over 1,000 movies, in her short 19 years.
July is a huge month for me (on July 31th Terilynn would have traveled 40 years around the sun), The kids and I are visiting my mother in California for the first time since she moved there some-15- odd-years-ago. She visits us every Christmas. I am starting raw culinary school, I can't wait to share that experience and I will be flying solo. Six weeks of no man, no kids. I don't know what to think about that yet.

A bit of quiet bliss mixed in with where is my beautiful, chaotic family. And umm, let me think. . . oh.. . yeah a little tiny thing happens at the end of the month but I can't remember what it is at the moment. Maybe it will come to me later.

Nutiva and Xagave Reviews
Over the past month I have been using Nutiva and Xagave products. Both companies generously sent me product to try and I was very happy with the results.

Let's begin with Nutiva. Started in 1999 by author John W. Roulac, Nutiva sells coconut oil and hemp products. I was sent the raw coconut oil, raw coconut chips and hemp protein powder samples to try.

I really enjoyed the coconut oil. I used it in its liquid form, which had a nice coconut smell and the taste is very light.

The coconut chips were surprisingly moist, not dry at all, very tasty. I used them in raw desserts, trail mix and snacked on them right out of the bag.

I am not a protein powder fan, I had a bad experience once with a chalky, clumping powder and I was turned off. If it wasn't for Man on the Raw trying and enjoying Nutiva's Hemp Protein Powder, I would have avoided it. I reluctantly gave powders another shot. There was no clumping, no chalky, not funny aftertaste. It actually tasted pretty good a bit sweet. Overall, I was really pleased with Nutiva's products.

Xagave
If I had to pick a team, it would be for Team Angelina, Team Edward and Team Agave.

Although, I like to explore other raw sweetener options, I enjoy working with and consuming agave nectar, raw or not. I would prefer a raw product but hey, I use maple syrup on occasion without strife.

I don't know about other companies but Xagave states that it's a pure, raw (produced at a temperature less than 118F), low glycemic product so I can only believe they are telling the truth. If you want to know more about Xagave and the raw agave nectar debate, here is a response from Stephen Richards, President of BetterBody Foods & Nutrition (the company that sells Xagave), to Dr. Joseph Mercola's constoversary claim.

The flavor is very sweet so I would recommend not using alot at first. Start with a teaspoon at a time, until you meet your sweetness threshold. The textured was smooth and not a thick syrup consistency which was very nice.

It is a multi-purpose sweetener. The children have used Xagave in their lemonade and Man on the Raw has used Xagave in his coffee with great results.

Nutiva's Raw Coconut Oil
Size: 15 fl oz
Price: $11.87
Ingredients: Raw, organic, unrefined extra-virgin coconut oil
Certified Organic: Yes

Nutiva's Raw Coconut Chips
Size: 8 fl oz
Price: $3
Ingredients: Raw, organic shredded coconut
Certified Organic: Yes

Nutiva's Hemp Protein
Size: 16 oz
Price: $16.99
Ingredients: 100% raw organic hemp protein powder
Certified Organic: Yes

Xagave
Size: 36 fl oz
Price: $15.99
Ingredients: Organic Agave Salmianan Nectar and Inulin derived from Agave Tequilana (12% by volume)
Certified Organic: Yes

Chocolate-Covered Bananas

3 bananas, peeled and halved crosswise (6 pieces)

Skewer the banana halves on 6 popsicle sticks; place on a plate and freeze for 4 hours.

TOPPINGS
½ cup raw coconut chips ( I used Nutiva)
Grind coconut flakes into powder using a coffee grinder or high-speed blender. Set aside.

½ cup raw cacao nibs
Grind cacao nibs into a coarse powder using a coffe gringer or high-speed blender.
Arrange the toppings on a flat plate and set aside.

Chocolate Sauce
½ cup organic cocoa powder
¼ cup raw agave nectar (Xagave)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup coconut oil (liquid) (Nutiva)

Blend ingredients. Pour into a shallow dish or a cup.

Dip each banana popsicle into the chocolate, until it is well-coated.

Roll chocolate-coated banana into the toppings. Transfer the banana to a plate and place in the freezer for an hour or until chocolate hardens.

art, Bananas, chocolate, dessert, Lemon, organic, pie, product review, sauce, and more:

Welcome July! + travel