Raw Food Recipes + Vegan

The FUNdamentals of Fort Bragg

Let me start off saying “thank you” to all who wrote beautiful words of support by email and in the comments section. I really appreciate it. I don’t have time right now to answer everyone back individually (especially in the comments box) but please know that you are in my thoughts.

On to Fort Bragg

Surrounded by the of Northern California's redwood forests (home to those winding roads) and the Pacific Ocean, Fort Bragg is a small town located in coastal Mendocino County.

According to Fort Bragg’s website, the area was home to the Native American Indians, most of whom belonged to the Pomo tribe. They were hunter-gatherers who lived close to the land and sea.

In 1855 an exploration party from the Bureau of Indian Affairs visited the area looking for a site on which to establish a reservation and, in the spring of 1856, the Mendocino Indian Reservation was established at Noyo. It was 25,000 acres and extended from what is now Simpson Lane to Abalobadiah Creek and east to Bald Hill.
In the summer of 1857, First Lieutenant Horatio G. Gibson established a military post on the Mendocino Indian Reservation approximately one and one-half miles north of the Noyo River. He named the camp for his former commanding officer Captain Braxton Bragg, who later became a General in the Army of the Confederacy. The official date of the establishment of the fort was June 11, 1857. Its purpose was to maintain order on the reservation.

Now, from my observation, it seems to be a mix of working-class town folks in jeans and strip shirts and free-spirit hippies in long-flowing garb and dreads. To tell you the truth, I haven’t really found out what this town is all about. It is still a mystery.
I plan to explore when I get a moment to breathe.
On my walks to and from school, I have noticed he sky has been grey and misty on most days (nothing too gloomy, it’s almost romantic). When the sun finally makes it to Fort Bragg, it beams through the clouds and it’s a phenomenal sight. The air is full of warmth either way in spite of the sky’s hues. A few nights and early mornings have been a bit nippy but nothing to unbearable.

I have a slight confession to make. I am falling in love… with Fort Bragg. It started out as a school-girl crush. I adore the mild weather (can you imagine the garden I could create YEAR-ROUND), the friendly people, the easy navigation of the streets, the beach and I, especially, LOVE the fact that the premier raw foods school is here. All infatuation-worthy reasons. Now my crush has developed as full-blown love. But I have a tendency of falling head over heals fast and then falling flat on my face. So the next step is to find out what lies deeper in Fort Bragg, jobs, a place to live, schools for the children, etc. I am afraid that this love affair with Fort Bragg will have to proceed slow and steady before I make any rash decisions about my family’s future.

The FUNdamentals of Raw Living Foods
34 students
17 from the United States
6 from Canada
2 from UK
2 from Japan
2 from Singapore
1 from France
1 from Beliguim
1 from Australia
1 from New Zealand
1 from India

Carrot CakeThe first class you have to take at Living Light is the FUNdamentals of Raw Living Foods. It is an entry-level class where you learn the basics of sprouting, making kraut, nut milks and how to use equipment of a raw food kitchen and so much more. This class is a prerequisite for Essentials of Raw Culinary Arts, Raw Culinary Arts Associate Chef and Instructor Training and the Gourmet Chef series.

Herb CheeseIt was a laid back sort of day full of demos and lots of tasty foods to try. There was no hands-on training so we didn’t don our chef wear.

Almond Milk, Granola, Brownie
We met all of our instructors, including Founder and director Cherie Soria. I couldn't believe it! "The Mother of Gourmet Raw Vegan Cuisine" actually teaches quite a few of the classes, more than I had anticipated. That was a nice surprise.

LunchThe Snail: I have never seen a snail inside its shell so I took several (hundred) of photos, I was fascinated by them.

art, back to the cutting board, cake, pie, and more:

The FUNdamentals of Fort Bragg + Vegan