Raw Food Recipes + Vegetables

Questions for the Daily Raw
RAW RECIPE (photos)

photo akhater

I want to give special shout-outs to Valarie and Karen for being patient while I got my ducks in a row. These two wonderful women asked me questions a while back and I have one answer and I need advice from you guys on another.

Valarie is about 8 months pregnant and she asks:
"any advice that you could give, now that i will have a baby to take care of, on being organized eating raw. I have a hard time trying to manage the sprouting and dehydrating. Thanks"

Valerie,

Yeah, I feel you there sister, the last thing I wanted to do was sprout or dehydrate, let alone prepare.

Here are some ideas to get you started.

Green smoothies. It takes about 10 minutes to make 4 quarts of delicious, nutritious smoothies. Store in Mason jars in the back of the refrigerator and you have four snacks at your disposal.

Also, have your husband clean, chop and store fresh vegetables for you to throw in a bowl for a salad or to snack on with a raw dip. Add pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

Here is my favorite salad dressing that keeps in the frig for about a week.

Juice of 3 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt

Place ingredients in a bottle and shake.

Resources:

Melissa of Raising Alex is a wonderful resource in learning how to feed your child a raw foods diet.

Reading materials:
Baby Greens by Michaela Lynn

RAW RECIPE (photos)

Introducing Living Foods to Your Child by Beth Montgomery

Karen says:
"I am severely allergic to Avacadoes and am looking for substitutions for them. I am also allergic to soy so tofu/miso is out. I thought maybe you would have an idea what I can use as a good substitute for the Avacado?"

Thanks,
Karen

Karen,
Okay this one has stomped me. I have searched and I don't know of anything that can substitute an avocado. Nothing beats the simplicity of the rich and creamy fruit. It is in a class by itself. Having said that, I have came up with a substitute dish that highlights avocados. Guacamole!

I'm not sure what dishes you were thinking of creating with avocados but here is a recipe for Sweet Pea Guacamole to get you started.

photo by mafleen

RAW RECIPE (photos)

Sweet Pea Guacamole
3 cups fresh peas (or use a 20 ounce package of organic frozen peas,* rinsed, defrosted and patted dry)
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice of one lime
sea salt and pepper, to taste

1 Place peas, onion, jalapeno and garlic in food processor. Process until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.

2 Transfer into a bowl, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.

3 Season with sea salt and pepper.

If anyone knows of a true substitution for avocados, let me and Karen know. NOTE:*Frozen peas may not be truly raw. Send an email to the company and ask if they blanch the peas before freezing. Also, please keep in mind that you will lose some enzymes because of the product has been frozen.

appetizer, avocado, Beth Montgomery, dips, dressing, Food, Fruits, Juice, Lemon, Melissa, Michael Lynn, Olive, organic, Raising Alex, RAW, salad, snacks, tofu, Vegan, and more:

Questions for the Daily Raw + Vegetables